Our mission is the mission of The Salvation Army: We aim to care for people and transform lives through God in Christ by the Holy Spirit's power. We work for the reform of society by alleviating poverty, deprivation and disadvantage, and by challenging evil, injustice and oppression, in the name of Jesus.
We are in the community, for the community, bringing out the God flavour and colours. We will be salt and light in Petone; building relationships, journeying with people towards God and into the Kingdom.
• Upwardly focused on God in worship that is passionate
• Inwardly focused on community among believers (loving and compassionate)
• Outwardly focused on a world that does not yet know God
Nothing can happen without Transformational Prayer. Prayer comes before anything and everything at Petone.
Caring for People
• Affirmation of all people equally with a holistic view of individuals and community
• Honouring others above ourselves through an Acts 2 lifestyle of sacrifice, service and sharing
• Loving our community daily (1 John 3)
• Biblical teaching
• Worship with commitment and integrity
• Mission not maintenance
• Priesthood of all believers
• Salt and light (Luke 10)
All of these come together in Dynamic Discipleship. Jesus calls people to change how they live. He proclaimed the kingdom of God – the reign of God that transforms individuals and society. In carrying out the Great Commission, the church has always spread by reproducing itself – not reproducing clones, but Christian communities that have distinct identities while maintaining the family (Salvationist) DNA.